Saturday, February 13, 2010

Gmail Backup


I personally have a bazillion gmail accounts and probably rely on at least 95% of them for different aspects of my life. I also really like the new 'offline' feature of Google Labs, however sometimes when the sun, moon and stars get aligned just so, things can go wrong pretty quick. As much as I like Google and the services they offer, when those things get aligned just right, for whatever reason I'm totally, um....how shall I say it? Screwed? Yep, that's the word. If Google didn't exist I probably wouldn't either, which is why I totally rely on this service. Please donate if you have a few extra dollars laying around. It's saved my butt more than a few times.

Sinplet from the site:

Gmail Backup: "Description
This program is aimed to backup and restore of your GMail mailbox. You will need to activate the IMAP access to your mailbox, to do so, please open your GMail settings and under POP/IMAP tab activate this option.

The messages are stored in the local directory in files which names follow the format YYYYMMDD-hhmmss-nn.eml where YYYY is the year, MM the month number, DD is the day number, hh are hours, mm are minutes and ss are seconds when the e-mail was SENT. For the case there is more emails with the same timestamp there is the number nn which starts with value 1. Label assignment is stored in the file labels.txt which is the plain text file and it pairs the emails stored in the file described above with the assigned labels."

No comments:

Post a Comment