Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Book Reviews Reviewed



My daughters and wife are avid readers; and by avid I mean hundreds a year. I'm not and if it doesn't have "Technology" or "Digest" in the title, I'm usually not interested. Anyway, my oldest daughter is always looking for new and little know books to read and she asked me to find the best place to look for such titles. Reviews from other readers was the most important part. Anyway, I cannot vouch for any of the following, but based on my research of others research and reviews of others reviews - here's what I came up with. I'll let you know what my family thinks after they've had a chance to review the reviews...

In no particular order...and a quick snippet of the home pages:

New York Times is actually the first place I thought of since it's really the only one I've ever heard of:


Well, after finding about 10 review sites, I stumbled upon this (Complete Review) which lists all the review sites. Argh! Anyway, here ya go and comment on your favorites if you find a really good one.

Be sure to check out "The Complete Review" for everything all sorted nicely, but here are the "Major" sites for quick access:
  • The Atlantic Monthly. Relatively few reviews, but good archive (including "classic" reviews) and other literary articles and interviews -- but nothing fully freely accessible.
  • The Economist. Current articles accessible, good archive (but reviews only accessible to subscribers after a while), interesting selection of books.
  • Kirkus Reviews. Except for a few featured reviews in every issue only accessible to subscribers.
  • London Review of Books. Excellent articles, though relatively few from print version freely accessible.
  • The New Republic. Good archive, interesting long reviews -- but now almost inaccessible except for subscribers.
  • The New York Review of Books. Excellent clear, simple site design. Some articles from the current print version freely accessible.
  • The New York Times. Great archive, much of which is freely accessible, but recent and current content generally registration-requiring.
  • Salon. Reviews, and articles about books. Very good archive. New material now only fully accessible if you pay -- or endure an ad-show.
  • The Spectator. Good review coverage and archive.
  • TLS. The marvelous Times Literary Supplement -- an invaluable publication, but very little freely accessible on site. A great resource if you're willing to register and pay.
  • The Washington Post. Good coverage, fairly benign registration (requires enabled cookies, but can submit invented user-data.)

No comments:

Post a Comment